Saturday, September 11, 2010

Marcia Henry

As I began  my journey into learning about dyslexia and Orton Gillingham tutoring, one name that kept coming up over and over again was Marcia Henry.  Part of my requirements for training was to read her book, Unlocking Literacy, Effective Decoding and Spelling Instruction.  It's been one of the most useful books I have in my professional library and the one that has lots of dog-eared pages and a worn cover.

Marcia Henry is another reading researcher who has based all of her information on research and in turn has created some best practices.   Her forte is morphology, or the study of the changing words in the English Language.  Anytime you have a chance to listen to her speak or to even attend a conference that talks about the morphology of the English Language, I highly recommend it.

Whenever I get into morphology with my dyslexic kids, their spelling takes off.  It suddenly makes so much sense, and they are able to look at words in a different way.  I think it's because it appeals to their intellect and that's how these children learn best.

Here's a link to a blog post on Vocabulogic written by Marcia Henry.

Marcia Henry on Vocabulogic

Once you start reading her information, I hope you discover how wonderful her work is and how much sense it makes in literacy instruction .  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment